Due to the recession there is currently a mini baby-boom happening in the United States. I'm assuming this is because sex is a free activity (most of the time) and contraception can be pricey. Not to mention the unemployment rate is at an all-time high, which means some people now have an excellent reason to be a stay-at-home parent!
If you're like me, looking at the recession statistics does not make me want to jump in the sack with my husband and bring a new life into this world. But that is exactly what is happening in other homes across the nation!
At age 25 after being married for 3 years, there is an expectation that we will start a family. NOW! I go back and forth with my desire to have a baby NOW and my desire to wait until we reach our pre-pregnancy goals. What are they?
- Get our finances straightened out. I know what you're thinking, "You're never financially ready to have a baby." Straightening out our finances means living on a budget, paying off our credit card debt and having an emergency fund. For more on this kind of plan, go here.
- Get my body into the shape of a 25 year old. My body doesn't feel 25 and before I use it to take care of another human I think it should be in better condition.
- Go visit my friend in Germany. An international flight with an infant doesn't sound like a good time to me, even if it does to you!
- Become a nationally certified interpreter. This probably should be listed first because it's the goal that will be completed first. It's a simple test and it's the last step in making myself more marketable in my field.
- Finish our house. I hear that this is also a never ending process, but there are some pretty large projects we need to accomplish before I would feel safe and confident to have a little one roaming around here.
So those seem doable right? Well we'll see!
I can think of 11 people in my life right now with babies -7 months to 2 years old. Stay tuned as I watch everyone around me be or become parents while I learn and try to figure things out before we take the plunge!

I look forward to reading more Erin!
ReplyDeleteOoh, look at you, chica, a blogger now! Good job! And your picture is at Disneyland and/or Disney World, isn't it?! I recognize the lamppost and trash can.
ReplyDelete